Pages

Labels

Monday, May 10, 2010

Urgent Metting Tuesday 5/11/10 at 4:00pm in room 233

Seeing the last few post and comments on here, there are issues that must be dealt with and quickly. Here is the list:

  • Art style
  • Enemy Health location
  • Jump / landing points
  • New level assets
First off, it has been suggested that the art style needs to be changed due to the character not looking good in game. My thought to this is to change the screen size of our game from 800x600 to 1280x1024. I believe that this could allow us more room on screen and to scale up the character size and assets. 

Second, is a suggestion that we put a health bar above the enemies to indicate damage. I think this a good suggestion. As for the programming of it, I think the health bar would have to be inside the enemy movie clip. So the code would go something like: 

guardEnemy.healthBar = guardEnemy.healthBar - hammerWeaponDamage.

I know that there is a better way of coding the math to that though. 

Third, I have found that the some of the jump points are sometimes out of reach. Now this could just be because I want to press the space bar to jump and not the "W" key. I think we either need to change the jump button to be the space bar, or give the player an option to use both.

Fourth, I have not seen the new level assets yet (or I haven't looked for them on box.net yet). It has been suggested that we use the new level assets to add jumping and landing points in the level. I also think that the player should be able to use the top of the fence to walk along and the gate areas would be the fall points. 

So this tuesday at 4:00pm in room 233 we will have a meeting to discuss the above issues and resolve them quickly. We have less than two weeks before Interfaces. These decisions now will effect what we show at Interfaces. 

5 comments:

  1. Roger that! Most of the level design issues sound easily resolvable. I don't have flash available at home, Lance was taking care of implementation of the new assets. We actually built in working out things for Tue. for our milestones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think jake fixed the problem with the shitty looking characters.

    Higher resolution for photoshop.

    Scale in flash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reguards to the first part, I know Lionell keeps saying the "Art Style" needs to be changed, but that isnt the problem. Our art style if fine, the problem is with our file types and resolutions. Thats it. Vector art will scale better, so that might be the option, but with my assets I've already finished, the best ones were created SUPER BIG and then scaled down to fit the level.

    For the 2nd part... I agree that the enemy life needs to be near the enemy, above the head or below the head doesnt matter to me, but it should be there. I have a few guys from my Saturday class play the current prototype and they didn't think they could kill the enemy because they didnt see the health.

    Thirdly... Yeah the jump points are a pain in the butt right now. But with the new "tallbush1/2" and "shortbush1/2" we have some extra platforms that we can fill in gaps with. The issue with the gate being a platform is that anytime you fall from above... you'll land on the gate and never reach the ground again. If we use the gate, then we need to make a "downward jump" button so that the player can jump straight down through a platform, otherwise they'll be stuck on the gate.

    The fourth issue was kinda mixed in with the last point. But yes, the new assets can be used to fill in gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the jump button should be changed as I too find it uncomfortable to use that as a jump function. Most games on PC tent to use the space bar as the primary jump function. As for the platforms. I'll reassess them before our deadline tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as the enemy health bar goes, do we want it on screen hovering above the enemy? If the health bar was in interface at the bottom, that would destract the player in battle.

    ReplyDelete