Pages

Labels

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Player Mechanics updated

I've taken the liberty of removing the previous mechanics doc I posted Tuesday as it wasn't anywhere near what it was supposed to be at all. I've posted a new version that lists the key command, what that key does, and some psuedocode that would be associated with the function. I'm going to need Paul's input to help me make sure I covered the psuedocode in a concise way that conveys what the code has to do. If you guys still want the previous version of the mechanics document (the one describing the action as if it were a page from a manual) I still have it and will gladly re upload it.

So far it seems that we may be able to hit our milestone for next week at this rate. Now I'm not sure if it's required at this stage, but for a truly complete stat chart Max and I need a list of enemies that would be in the game. However since we're still on the prototype level I'm not sure if that will be required immediately. It would be nice though so that the player won't be fighting the same enemy for the entire game. My suggestions for that is to create other variants of squirrels like the white-collar squirrel that throws paper clip spears at you. Also there could be other enemy types in the environments such as raccoons or dogs as well.

Now there's the matter of the store availability. For a while we've been designating the tree shack to be where the player can upgrade their weapons and armor. This too served as the location to obtain the cannon after finding the three golden nuts. The other option we would have would be that the player can spend the resources they've collected after each level to upgrade something of theirs. Doing this sounds better in general. I would rather not have the Metroid effect at the beginning of every stage, and I'm sure many players would feel the same way. For those that don't know what the Metroid effect is, at the beginning of each game something happens where Samus (the protagonist) will lose all of her abilities except the basic blaster that doesn't charge. So the player will have to find their abilities again throughout the game such as morph ball, missiles, etc. Still this idea needs to be tested out to see which version will be more useful for the player. The sooner we can test this, the better.

As far as other objectives that need to be completed all that's left right now that I need to focus on is aiding Max with the stat charts and whatever else someone needs help with.

2 comments: