Pages

Labels

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lance's Post Mortem for first Green Light presentations

Over the past week or so Perry, Todd, and I have developed a concept document for a demolition derby type game. Of course we had to present our ideas to the rest of the class which I want to focus on. While I like the idea in a way, I also disliked it. The fact that the game would be a game featuring tons of destruction and a good amount of customizability, I think that we lost sight of what we should do as we turned it into something that would need the same schedule as a major game release.

The problem is, is that we focused on having multiple game modes and not just the one mechanic that we needed to focus on. The presentation I feel went great up until one specific moment. Once Perry mentioned that our game was going to be completely original, I immediately realized that A) Perry didn't really research anything, and B) He pretty much sunk our ship with that claim. I had mentioned before actually demoing our prototype that our competitors would include games such as Burnout and Need for Speed. Those games both feature lots of damage and similar gameplay modes as our titles.

I also wanted to mention that Todd could've spoken up more, for the most part I felt like I was the only one actually trying to sell the game. Not to drag the two of them down, but that's how I felt for the most part delivering our presentation. If I could redo the presentation, I would definitely pull them to some little area and actually practice our presentation. Another thing that I would deal with so that we aren't making something too complicated is that I would have remove the unnecessary elements we didn't need completely. For instance we mention that there would be classic Demolition Derby gameplay or drag racing. Those weren't the main elements of our game at all as they didn't involve the catapulting mechanic we were working with. We should have just left it at the passenger toss and car flinging challenges and be done with it.

Overall I think we aimed too high for the amount of time and resources we do have. I would actually love to give this idea a shot eventually but not with our current skill set as it wouldn't be what I would like to revisit it sometime down the road as a little challenge to myself.

2 comments:

  1. I'll make this comment here simply because you were the first to mention it. I think that we all had "multiple game modes" in our head for our games, and none of us realized that "multiple game modes" would kill us in 16 weeks. After everything was said and done, I wanted to scale my own game back for simplicity and ease. But we all had delusions of grandeur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Its never a good thing to call people out on a public forum.

    ReplyDelete