Pages

Labels

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Necronomicon Post Mortem

So over the past ten weeks of our lives we all came together to make the love child that is known as Warnutz! An action-platformer in which the player needs to collect nuts to upgrade their character, and find the elusive golden nut to get the cannon. This cannon is then used to take down the opponent's tree base.

During the process of our development there were so many things that went well for our group. We managed to get a digital prototype just a little ahead of schedule, just a little. We also had many great ideas that we constantly tested to make sure would work within our game. We also had strong leads to help guide us and keep us on track so we should thank shark bait, er, I mean Trevor for keeping us on track.

Now not everything will always go the way we want it to. There were two things I think that held us back overall, communication and egos. First of all, each and everyone of us came into the class with an ego of some sort. Because of this, a chain of events began in which some of us were not really communicating with each other. For instance I held back the level design team on the days I was absence due to either car issues or work issues preventing me from coming in. Those days, I didn't really communicate with my sub-team members in any way shape or form. Lastly I think that in the initial blue sky/brainstorming sessions I was too focused on the big picture and came up with ideas that just were not possible within our time constraints or know how.

Now if I did get a chance to go back and redo things, I would most certainly step up my communications skills and probably reduce my scope on the initial assignments for the course as our (Perry, Todd, and I) demolition derby like game had a scope that was out of our capabilities. Overall, I enjoyed working with the team in general. We were able to kick out the work that needed to be done and do a little growing up in the process.

------

Now just for reiterations sake, and Trevor's sake, I have received my tasks that need to be completed during the break. It's not all on my shoulders though, it's more for the level design team in general. There are three goals that Max and I have to accomplish. I'd include Jacob in this but I know that he's going to be out of country getting married. But what we have to do are the following:

1. Create a table detailing various stats such as Player HP, Player Defense, attack speed, attack strength. Also we need to include stats for the enemy and the differences between their stats and the four different states the player's actual rank is (Nerd, Scholar, etc) as well as weapon stats them selves. Needless to say there will be a lot of charts. If I recall correctly Kim recommended Max for this role as Max is "a stats person".

2. We also need to list out the mechanics for the player as well as the systems. For those who forgot, mechanics is the player action (run, jump, etc.). The system is how the player goes about performing said action such as pressing the A or D keys to move left or right.

3. Lastly we also need to fix the platforms sizes to help improve the players ability to navigate the environment such as widening one platform.

I plan to meet up with Max hopefully during the break to work on this. But in order for that to even happen I need to get his address for this meet up. I'm going to throw this out there, but everyone is welcome to meet up during this (pending Max's approval as it's his folk's home).

So till next time guys, same Bat Time Same Bat Classroom! oh and CONGRATULATIONS JACOB!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment